2013 “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society
Scholarships for Environmental Studies
The purpose of this award program is to encourage students to pursue a degree in environmental studies or a related biological science or natural resources. Funds may be used for the educational institution’s tuition, books, supplies and equipment, or technical materials.
Graduating high school seniors college students with professional goals to pursue science or biology with an environmental or natural resources focus, environmental education, or wildlife conservation will be given preference and are invited to apply for a Scholarship for Environmental Studies. Application deadline is March 31, 2013. Scholarships will be awarded May, 2013.
The committee will not consider funding for:
· Travel-related expenses.
· Projects which are funded through other grants from other sources.
· Activities involving any organization employing the applicant.
· Activities which do not demonstrate a proven commitment to a particular discipline.
· Activities not related to the enhancement of the applicant’s career.
· Medical, pre-med or nursing programs.
Eligibility In order to be eligible for a Scholarship for Environmental Studies, applicants must meet both of the following criteria.
1. Resident of Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry or Lee County
2. Pursuing degree pertaining to environmental studies or natural resources or related biological sciences.
Application Process Applicants must complete an application form and submit the following documents:
1. A maximum one page single spaced essay describing personal and scientific goals, accomplishments and proposed scientific project/course of study. Identify the school(s) you will be attending and/or have applied to. Please provide as much detail as you feel is necessary. Outline anticipated costs and tuition for your proposed course of study.
2. Three letters of reference concerning scientific ability and character.
3. Official school transcripts of courses completed within the last four years.
4. A copy of college acceptance letter, if not already enrolled.
ALL INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL.
Complete applications must be received by March 31, 2013. Please send all materials to:
J.N. “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society Scholarship Fund c/o Education Committee
P.O. Box 565, Sanibel, FL 33957
Multiple scholarships will be awarded ranging from $500 to $1500. Applicants need to fill out only ONE application to be considered for all of the scholarships. Previous scholarships awarded in 2012 include:
Dr. Andrew & Laura Dahlem Scholarship
Barbara Jean Keller Memorial Scholarship
Bill Lipman Memorial Scholarship
Hans and Leslie Fleishchner Scholarship
Mary Lou Schadt Scholarship
Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union Foundation Scholarship
Four Tarpon Bay Explorers Scholarships
Jane Werner Scholarship
Richard Bailey Scholarship
For more information contact Doris Hardy, Education Committee Chair, at 239-472-1100 ext 233 or CLICK HERE.
To become a sponsor of a scholarship for $500 or more, contact DDWS Executive Director Birgie Vertesch at 239-292-0566 or use the contact form below
2012 DDWS Scholarship Donors & Recipients. For more information, click here.