ART IN THE WILD 2023
SATURDAY & SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21-22
PLEASE NOTE: All Art in the Wild activities are free-of-charge, but the toll to get onto Sanibel Causeway is in effect.
*Free entrance to the Wildlife Drive both days 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
Oct. 12-29: Hautman Art Exhibition & Federal Duck Stamp Display, Visitor & Education Center Auditorium
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21: 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
9:15 a.m. The Roost reveal ribbon-cutting with SanCap Chamber
9:30 a.m. Sing “Happy Birthday” to “Ding” re-enactor with cookies and refreshments
10 a.m. Federal Duck Stamp presentations featuring current multiple winner Joe Hautman and brothers Jim and Bob
11 a.m. Other contest-winning art presentations and awards: Federal Junior Duck Stamp Winner Mila Linyue Tong, Florida Junior Duck Stamp Winner Jenny Liu and other Florida winners, Elementary School Conservation Cartoon Contest, Amateur Photo Contest in Visitor & Education Center Auditorium
12 noon Signings by the Hautman brothers and Mila Linyue Tong, outside the Refuge Nature Store
12-3 p.m. ON-GOING CREATION STATIONS outdoors on balcony/walkway (no signup required)
- Shell Painting with Ranger Yvette
- Recycled Jewelry with Ranger Jess
- Decorate Your Own Tea Towel with Southwest Florida Fine Craft Guild
- Community Mural with Artist-in-Residence Jacqui Roch
12-4 p.m. ART DEMONSTRATIONS, Visitor & Education Center
- Jim Sprankle, Bird Sculptor
- Tim Smith, Sanibel Pottery
- Andrew Corke, Recycled Bike-Tire Art
- Lacy McClary, Painter
- Jaye Boswell, Pen-and-Ink
- Alejandra "Alex" Bustamante, Painter/Muralist
- Stan Bunick, Fish-Fly Tying
- Cabe Rieck, Origami
- Deborah Kramer, Stained Glass
- Christine Keyworth, Polymer Clay
- Ken Yacavone, Bird Carving
1-2:30 p.m. WORKSHOPS
(All workshops will be limited to 20: 10 spots available on Eventbrite prior and 10 more guests who sign up that day on a first-come basis. Check in at program tent at base of Visitor Center ramp by 12:45 p.m. to ensure your spot, please.)
- Paint a Wine Glass with Deborah Kennedy, Auditorium B
- Nature Journaling & Hike with Robin Kirk, meet at flagpole
- Paint on Queen Palm Pods with Rachel Pierce, Beneath Center
- Paint a Duck with former Florida Junior Duck Stamp winner John Brennan, Auditorium A
ON-GOING ACTIVITIES at THE ROOST
12:30-1:30 p.m. Live Music at The Roost by Island Brass
2-2:30 p.m. Nature Puppet Show by Lee County School District students
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 22, 7-3 p.m.
7 a.m.- 3 p.m. PAINT-OUT: Plein-air artists on Wildlife Drive (Artists check-in at The Roost 7-8 a.m. Click HERE for rules)
8:30 a.m. Meet-and-Greet Donuts with "Ding" at The Roost
9-10 a.m. Open-air Yoga at The Roost with Nicole Michaelson (bring your own mat/towel), limited to 20 participants. Register on Eventbrite.
10:30-11:30 a.m. Live Music at The Roost by Gerald Augustin
12 noon-12:30 p.m. "Ding" Reprisor Presentation at The Roost
1:30-2:30 p.m. Live Music at The Roost by Brylcream
3 p.m. PAINT-OUT Display in Visitor & Education Center – Vote for your favorite creation at the Front Desk through October 30.
Visiting from out of town? See our local hotel discount.
DDWS seeks sponsors for this year's Art in the Wild. For information, contact April Boehnen.