The Smithsonian Museum on Main Street Water/Ways traveling exhibit will be visiting the J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge's Visitor & Education Center from Friday, October 28, through Thursday, December 8. The brand-new, first-of-its-kind exhibit's six stops in Florida are sponsored through the Florida Humanities Council. Its visit to "Ding" Darling required a competitive bidding process.
Click HERE to see the brochure and full calendar of events. Highlights include:
Weekly water-related Wednesday Film Festival, sponsored by LCEC (10 a.m. and 1 p.m.):
- November 2 Turtle: The Incredible Journey
- November 9: Plastic Paradise: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
- November 16: End of the Line: Where Have All the Fish Gone?
- November 23: Can the Gulf Survive?
- November 30: Chasing Ice
- December 7: Sharkwater
Friday Soak-It-In Speaker Series (1 p.m.):
- October 28 Author Ellen Prager presents "Ocean Trivia."
- November 4 Author Cynthia Barnett presents "Blue Revolution: A Water Ethic for Florida and America."
- November 18 Photographer John Moran presents "Our Water, Our Future."
- December 2 "Water: Have We Missed the Boat?" interactive panel discussion with local experts
Mac Stone's water-themed gallery
Hands-on Saturday Go With the Flow watershed table hands-on experiences
Special FREE Saturday H-2-GO family programs
- October 29 Marine Debris Timeline - How long does decomposition take?
- November 5 The Incredible Journey - Follow a drop of water throught the water cycle
- November 12 Pollution Solution - Identify and avoid sources of potential water pollution.
- November 19 Food Web Frenzy - How is the ecosystem connected?
- November 26 Free Kids Fishing Derby on the Sanibel Causeway
- December 3 WaterVentures Florida's Learning Lab experience
Aqua Ranger Scavenger Hunt with prizes
Discounted Saturday Nature & Sea Life Cruises at Tarpon Bay Explorers (except for November 26)